Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Who is the Adult Here?

Today's got me feeling a little like girlfriend above.




It's been a while since I wrote about stepmom issues, but today, one definitely came up. There's something about being a stepparent that makes me doubt myself and feel ashamed from time to time. Today was one of those days. For the stupidest reason, I got jealous today of my stepson. I'm embarrassed to even write it, but confessing will probably make me feel better. Maybe. Here goes:


I'm jealous because my husband is taking my stepson to Six Flags Hurricane Harbor tomorrow. Do I like theme parks? Hell, no. Do I enjoy water parks? Absolutely not. So, why am I jealous? It's fairly transparent to me that I am jealous of the time that my husband will be spending with my stepson, and, I'm angry because I will be stuck at home all day. I don't have clearance to drive yet since my knee surgery, and the only place within walking distance that I could actually make it to without killing myself is the grocery store, Ralph's. It would be weird for not only me, but the store clerks as well, if I hung out at Ralph's for longer than an hour. Oh, I could do it, though. I could spend at least 45 minutes smelling those delicious Paula Deen candles. That broad can really make some sweet scented wax! Or, I could stay home and watch QVC or HSN. When you're stranded at home for weeks on end, it's amazing what you'll force yourself to watch. Anyone seen "Quacker Factory"? Jeanne Bice is pure glamor in her fetching holiday sweaters. Don't believe me? Check this out: http://www.quackercruise.com/Home_Page_Quacker_Cruise_and_Vacations.html


You know you're booking that cruise with me.


I've also cleared my calendar for Monday, August 16, to watch Marie Osmond's 19th Anniversary Doll Show on QVC. If you haven't been sufficiently creeped out lately, look at these:






How do you feel now? Would you feel better or worse if I told you that boy doll is named 'Donny'? Because it is. You, too, can have your very own "Baby Donny Little Bit Rock n Roll" for only $99.95. I'm not kidding.



In the meantime, while waiting patiently for Marie Osmond's anniversary, I will find some way of getting over my jealousy. I huffed a little and tried to explain this to my husband, but I don't want to be a total baby. It's just that he is so busy all the time--working, training for a triathlon, planning stuff for his son--that at times I feel overlooked. The times I get to spend with him are usually wedged between all the other obligations, but the kid gets a whole planned day of fun without interruptions. I know--he's the kid and that's what parents do. I'll get over it eventually.











4 comments:

Life of a Stepmama said...

I hear ya, I feel that way from time to time as well being a stepmom. Hubbs uses the majority of his vacation on flying up to see the son. I ask for a weekend trip somewhere and you would think I was asking him to spend less time with his son. I am envious of couples who get to do whatever they want with their free time because their stepson doesn't live 12 hours away. I get jealous too, we all do. It will go away like you said but it sucks from time to time. Sorry you are feeling that way. HUGS

Junkgirl said...

Thanks for understanding, Stepmama. It's tough because rationally I know it's stupid to get upset, but feelings aren't always rational, you know? I hope you get a weekend away with Hubbs (alone!) soon! XOXO

Churlita said...

Maybe you could schedule a special date night with your hubby to make up for it. Some night when the kid's at his mom's house, He could sweep you off your feet (har har) and take you out and make you feel all special too.

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog and it really cheered me up. We were arguing this morning about mom and stepson going to see dad at jobsite. I'm jealous often. It's like a damned competition most of the time. Don't get me wrong...I do my best too, soccer games and all. Glad I found your blog. My crazy friend collects those creepy dolls so I had to laugh when I saw their faces. Thanks!