Friday, November 30, 2012

Knee--Three Years Post Injury

When I started this blog, I had no idea that I would get the most views from people looking for more information on MPFL reconstruction.  It is now three years since my original injury that led me to the MPFL reconstructive surgery.  Here's a little re-cap:

1.  I slipped and fell on a puddle of rainwater, resulting in a dislocated patella and torn MPFL.
2.  I spent 6 weeks in a brace, and it took about 12 weeks to fully recover.
3.  Since the injury occurred at work, I had to make many phone calls and doctor visits before I was able to see the right doctor--a mere one-hour drive away.  He is the only surgeon in the Southern California Kaiser Permanente network who does the surgery.
4.  I have the surgery in June (my injury occurred in December).
5.  I spend three months in intensive physical therapy.  I started the day of the surgery--bending and stretching.  Yes, it hurt, but this is what my doctor recommended, so I did it--religiously.
6.  It took about 1 1/2 years to feel "normal" after surgery.

Results after surgery:  I do feel that my knee is more stable, but I continue to have pain.  The doctor said it could be cartilage damage or inflamed scar tissue.  I have not gone back to have him confirm either, but I could at any time.  It hurts most at night when I'm trying to sleep.  I did have one minor injury of that knee, where I suffered a partial dislocation.  It was fairly minor, as I was able to stop things before the patella completely dislocated.  I do think that the surgery helped keep the patella in place, too.

Is my knee perfect?  No, but I never expected that because I have horrible knees.  But, the surgery seems successful, overall, and the doctor (Dr. Csintalan) was great.

No comments: