Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tales From the Dorkside

"You know what I like about you, Miss?" adorable 16-year old Eli piped up a few minutes before class started.

I never take much of what students say to heart. Teenagers are your best friend one minute (generally, before grading time), and your arch-enemy the next (generally, after grading time). But, Eli is a sweet, quiet girl, so if she's willing to talk, I'd better listen.

"What's that, Eli?" I implore.

"You're such a dork, Miss! You're so random!"

She was proud of her proclamation. She continued, "I mean 'dork' in a good way, because I'm a dork, too!"

I cherish this compliment more than any other I've received as a teacher. It's better than "You know everything" and "You're so weird," which are also both true statements about me, I might add.

No comments: